How One School Utilizes Technology to Improve School Culture
For Jessup Elementary School in Cheyenne, Wyoming, embracing technology helps create an environment that fosters academic and personal growth.
Leveraging Technology to Create a Safe and Supportive Learning Environment
Jessup Elementary School is a K-6 school serving a small student population in a small neighborhood. The school’s core values form the foundation of the school community: high expectations, pushing limits, and collaboration among students, educators, families, and the community.
Jessup uses technology as a conduit for providing quality learning and encouraging critical thinking and curiosity, preparing students for the future, ensuring their readiness, adaptability, and confidence in whatever path they choose.
Part of this preparation includes giving students the opportunity to develop positive habits and behaviors in a variety of settings. Their PBIS matrix establishes three core values: safe, responsible, and respectful. To help staff maximize the school’s PBIS initiative, Jessup leverages technology with PBIS Rewards.
Putting the POSITIVE in PBIS at Jessup Elementary
Jessup has experienced several successes since starting the implementation of PBIS.
- Student behavior has improved, because appropriate behaviors are recognized and reinforced.
- School leaders believe PBIS has contributed to an enhanced school climate by fostering a sense of belonging through the creation of a safe and supportive learning environment.
- The rewards motivate active participation in classroom activities and school events.
- Collaboration among teachers, administrators, students, and parents strengthens relationships within the school community and promotes teamwork.
- Engaged and motivated students perform better in terms of attendance, grades, and overall academic success.
- Suspensions and office referrals have decreased because the school emphasizes positive choices and proactive interventions.
- PBIS Rewards’ SEL/Status Check feature, in use since the pandemic, contributes to students’ social-emotional well-being, enhancing self-esteem, resilience, and their overall wellness.
Embracing Technology Schoolwide at Jessup Elementary
As a testament to their commitment to tech, Jessup was nominated by an Apple executive to become an Apple Distinguished School (ADS) during the 2022-2023 school year.
Although the criteria are rigorous, Jessup is known for technology integration, engaging instruction, and high achievement. Their student-centered approach fosters creativity, collaboration, critical thinking, and problem-solving.
PBIS Rewards is excited and proud to be a part of the technology portfolio at Jessup Elementary School. As the school continues to leverage technology to improve outcomes for its students, PBIS and PBIS Rewards have made this process easier.
Impacting School Culture and Climate With PBIS Rewards and Navigate360
Schools at all levels of the technology spectrum can benefit from the ease and simplicity of PBIS Rewards. Because the software doesn’t require an investment in additional equipment, many schools can include this technology in their budgets. PBIS has the ability to radically impact school culture and climate, and using PBIS Rewards to digitally manage it enables schools to get the most out of their initiatives.
In late 2022, PBIS Rewards joined the Navigate360 family of solutions, giving schools a variety of options for the improvement of social, emotional, behavioral, and academic outcomes. Navigate360’s portfolio of solutions encompasses school safety management and preparedness, threat detection and prevention, and school culture and climate. We’d love to help you find the right mix of solutions for your school or district’s needs. Contact us to learn more!