Believe it or not, not everyone who implements PBIS and PBIS Rewards is an immediate fan. North Canton Middle School in Ohio wanted to meet standards set forth by the state but needed to develop a solid plan to do so. Their transition from an elaborate points and discipline system to a streamlined PBIS initiative managed through PBIS Rewards was challenging. Their ongoing success story is the final webinar in our PBISCon20 Summer Webinar Series.
During this hour-long webinar, administrators for NCMS walked us through the process of changing their behavioral system over the course of the past several years. Presenters for this webinar were:
- David Eby, Principal, 8th grade
- Michael Coppa, Associate Principal, 7th grade
- Renee Manse, Associate Principal, 6th grade
NCMS began their journey as a more traditional school setting with a traditional code of conduct. They used separate behavioral systems for each grade level, and their staff members were invested in each. The administrative team took great care in involving staff by seeking input and examining data.
Topics covered during this webinar included:
- Implementing technology to simplify initiatives
- Using data to see how teachers are using the system
- Using data to generate conversations
- The importance of consistency in point values
- Making points system more accessible/user friendly
- Using single sign-on to streamline access
- Involving staff to foster buy-in
- Seeking out feedback
- Providing training
While there were certainly challenges at the beginning of the process, NCMS was intentional with their process and has seen marked improvements in student behavior.
View the PBIScon20 Webinar Recording
- Presentation Slide Deck (PDF)
Resources from PBIS Rewards
- Distance Learning Resources
- More than 130 PBIS Incentive Ideas for Distance Learning
- What is PBIS Rewards?
- PBIS Rewards Training
Are you ready to learn how to rollout PBIS Rewards at your school?
PBIS Rewards is a digital PBIS system to support your staff and students in your PBIS initiative. We’re here to help!