For some students, school can be a place where their poor decisions are amplified. It can feel as if they are destined to fail at every turn. For many, it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. School systems all across the country seek to help these students through alternative education, which takes them out of the traditional classroom setting and gives them the opportunity to succeed. How can PBIS principles make this process easier?
Using PBIS Rewards in an Alternative School Setting
Newton County, Georgia’s Rise Academy is an alternative school that strives to be a “safe place” for students, where they can start with a clean slate. Students at Rise, in grades 6 through 12, develop tools and skills that can help them to successfully transition back into a traditional school setting.
Presenters for this webinar were Amie Cumming, Director of Student and Family Support for Newton County Schools, and Phalanda Perriman, Program Supervisor for Rise Academy.
Topics covered during this webinar included:
- Building relationships with both students and parents
- Establishing expectations for both students and staff
- Giving respect to students and receiving respect in return
- Communicating with parents
- Teaching students to own their behavior and actions
- Setting the tone and standards as adults
- Leading by example
- Giving behavior-specific praise
- Starting with a clean slate
The strength and success of Rise Academy is due in large part to a focus on social and emotional learning, paired with the digital token economy of PBIS Rewards. Students who come to Rise have often failed many times in a traditional school setting because they lack the tools to respond with appropriate behaviors. By focusing on building relationships and acknowledging positive behaviors, the staff at Rise changes the way students view themselves. Once this change has taken place, it paves the way for social, emotional, and academic success!
PBIScon20 Webinar Recording
Presentation materials and other resources used in this webinar are available here:
Resources from RISE Academy
- RISE Academy Website
- Student of the Month celebrates with excitement video
- Email Amie Cumming
- Email Phalanda Perriman
- Never Raise Your Voice Slide Deck (PDF)
- PBIS Matrix (PDF)
- Incentives Guide (PDF)
- Student of the Month Criteria (PDF)
- 18 Week Report Card (PDF)
Books referenced in the webinar
- Raving Fans by Ken Blanchard
- Power of Moments by Chip Heath and Dan Heath
- Teach Like a Champion by Doug Lemov
- Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
Supports used by RISE Academy
- PBIS Rewards – digital PBIS management system
- No Place for Hate
- rethinkED – Social Emotional Learning
- Pearson Connexus: Online Learning Platform
- Kelvin: virtual “pulse” of student mental/physical wellbeing
Resources from PBIS Rewards
- How Do I Give Positive Reinforcement? Behavior Specific Praise
- PBIS Incentives for Students
- PBIS Incentives for Staff
- Distance Learning Resources
- Social Emotional Learning eBook
- What is PBIS Rewards?
- PBIScon20 Summer Webinar Series
Want to know more about PBIS Rewards?
PBIS Rewards is a digital PBIS system to support your staff and students in your PBIS program. We’re here to help!